FCCI Insurance Group provides commercial property and casualty insurance in 19 states and the District of Columbia. We create partnerships and keep promises that allow businesses to grow and succeed, knowing risks are managed and claims will be resolved promptly and fairly.

Founded in 1959, FCCI has retained our guiding principles of accountability, integrity, fairness and service for more than 60 years. We do what we say we’ll do, and because we are financially strong and mutually held, we provide long-term stability and security our customers can count on.
1959
FCCI was founded in Sarasota, Florida as a self-insurance fund by a group of local business owners who needed a better way to obtain workers’ compensation insurance. They were part of the Sarasota General Contractors Association, and they began with a deposit of $3,776.11 and a core belief in operating with integrity.
The Florida Contractors and Construction Industries (FCCI) self-insurance fund began operating on April 1, 1959 and received official application approval via telegram on April 14.
Gilbert Waters was the secretary of the Sarasota General Contractors Association and the administrator of the FCCI fund. He would come to be considered the first president of FCCI.
1961
One of FCCI’s earliest locations was 1490 First Street in downtown Sarasota, Florida. The building housed the office of the Sarasota Builders Exchange, along with FCCI’s operations.
1962
FCCI trustees implemented a program that returned premium funds to insured members in the form of a refund, or dividend, if the insured company met certain loss record criteria. In the years since, FCCI has never missed a year of issuing dividends to members.
1969
The FCCI Trustees show the company’s 10-year written premiums of $945,000 and dividends of $120,000.
Left to right: Fund Counsel John Keane; Fund Administrator Gilbert Waters; Trustee D.C. Matchum; Trustee Russell Currin, Jr.; Trustee James R. Ward; Trustee John Kicklighter; Trustee H. Ronald Foxworthy; Trustee and FCCI Chairman T.T. Watson; Fund Treasurer Gary Gordon; and Trustee Charles Stottlemyer.
1970
The FCCI Fund had grown to approximately 1,300 members. It was no longer possible to rely on one of the trustees to know each new member and vouch for their business practices. In 1970, FCCI implemented a policy requiring members and applicants to undergo inspection by safety engineers. The loss control program – one of the first of its kind – would lead to safety seminars, awards, and safety bonuses for members, while increasing safety for workers and controlling costs for the fund.
FCCI Administrator Gil Waters (right) discusses FCCI’s premium growth.
1975
FCCI began partnering with independent insurance agents across the state of Florida instead of continuing to distribute only through local trade associations. As a result, premiums grew from $1 million to $2 million to $6 million to $12 million in four years’ time.
1976
FCCI began providing workers’ compensation insurance to companies outside of the building industry.
1977
The FCCI name was changed from Florida Contractors and Construction Industries to Florida Construction, Commerce & Industry to reflect its policyholders beyond the construction industry.
1978
FCCI moved to new headquarters at 2540 South Tamiami Trail in Sarasota, Florida.
1979
The FCCI Fund submitted the first loss control program to meet new Florida state guidelines and refunded more than $1 million in dividends to its members.
1984
FCCI Trustees, left to right, seated: H. Ronald Foxworthy; Charles Stottlemyer; John Kicklighter; Russell Currin, Jr. (Chairman); T.T. Watson; Jim Ward; and Al Conyers. Standing: James Goar, CPA; Martin Harvaky, Attorney; and Gilbert Waters, FCCI Administrator.
On its 25th anniversary, the FCCI Fund becomes Florida’s #1 writer of workers’ compensation insurance, with $44 million in premiums.
1985
FCCI served more than 5,000 employers, wrote $67 million in annual premium, and moved into a new headquarters location at 1751 Mound Street in Sarasota.
1986
After 27 years of service and many contributions to FCCI, Gil Waters resigned his position. William D. “Bill” Griffin, an executive of the fund, was named FCCI’s second President & CEO.
1988
FCCI moved into a new headquarters location at 2601 Cattlemen Road in Sarasota.
1987
FCCI named its third President & CEO, Raymond M. “Ray” Neff, a 20-year veteran of the insurance industry and self-insurance workers’ compensation funds in Florida. He served in the role for 12 years and was instrumental in FCCI’s evolution as a professionally managed carrier.
1990
After 31 years in business, FCCI reached $258 million in annual premium and returned more than $18 million to members in dividends. FCCI also purchased National Trust Insurance Company and began writing business in Georgia.
1994
The FCCI Fund became FCCI Mutual Insurance Company. This required a legislative change sponsored by FCCI, allowing the company to continue meeting the needs of its members with a long-term focus.
1995
FCCI became FCCI Insurance Group, a mutual insurance company, to bring all its related companies under one umbrella. Premiums reached $309 million.
1998
FCCI expanded outside Florida and again reorganized, becoming the first mutual insurance holding company in Florida and the first in the nation for a property and casualty carrier.
1999
FCCI named its fourth President and CEO, G.W. Jacobs, Esq. Jacobs joined FCCI in 1987 as Legal Counsel and became an employee in 1989. He was serving as Chief Operations Officer when selected for the top role. He led the company for 12 years, championing geographic and line of business expansion as well as investment in staff, technology and agency relationships. Jacobs’ belief in putting people first and doing the right thing continued the core values FCCI was founded on and became the backbone of FCCI’s enduring culture.
FCCI broke ground on a new corporate headquarters in Sarasota, and also opened a Southeast Regional Office in Atlanta, Georgia to serve Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee.
2000
FCCI continued to expand by acquiring Monroe Guaranty Insurance Company in Carmel, Indiana, which became the FCCI Midwest Regional Office writing business in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois and Michigan.
2001
A new logo and tagline were introduced, reinforcing FCCI’s commitment to serving agents and policyholders.
FCCI moved into a custom-built 260,000 sq. ft. corporate headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, where it remains today. The building is dedicated to Russell A Currin, Jr., for his 37 years of service to FCCI as a Trustee, Board Member and Chairman, and contains a full-service Café and a Fitness Center.
2003
The Board of Directors in 2003, left to right standing: H. Ronald Foxworthy; Charles Stottlemyer; Chairman Russell Currin, Jr.; President & CEO G.W. Jacobs; Vice Chairman John Stafford; Marvin Haber; and Albert Conyers. Seated: William Getzen and Robert Flanders.
2005
FCCI wrote business in 13 contiguous states: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan.
2008
FCCI begins writing business in Missouri, bringing the state count to 14.
2009
FCCI celebrated 50 years in business and completed the acquisition of Brierfield Insurance Company in Jackson, Mississippi, which later became the Gulf Coast Regional Office. Direct written premium totaled $472 million.
2006
FCCI surpassed $1 billion in cash and investments.
2011
FCCI expanded into Virginia and began writing contract Surety and expanded commercial Surety to all FCCI States.

G.W. Jacobs retired as President & CEO and joined the FCCI Board of Directors. Craig Johnson was named as the new President & CEO, only the fifth in FCCI’s history.
2012
FCCI moved into Texas, opening a Southwest Regional Office in Richardson, Texas, and into Maryland.
FCCI created a policy giving each teammate 4 hours per year of company-paid time to volunteer at the community organization of their choice. By the end of the year, teammates volunteered 996 hours.
2013
FCCI expanded into Louisiana and Arkansas. A.M. Best, the insurance industry’s rating agency, announced the upgrade of FCCI’s financial strength rating to A (Excellent) from A- (Excellent), reflecting FCCI’s strong capitalization, solid operating performance, profitable geographic expansion and product line diversification.
2014
An updated logo, tagline and Mission Statement were introduced. Total assets reached a milestone $2 billion in 2014 and climbed to $2.1 billion in 2015.
2016
John Stafford retired after serving on the Board for more than 20 years, the last 12 as Chairman.
Craig Johnson was unanimously elected Chairman, becoming FCCI’s first Chairman of the Board, President & CEO.
FCCI appointed the first female member to the Board of Directors, Lisa A. Krouse, Esq.
The 2016 Board of Directors. Left to Right: Charles R. Baumann, CPA/CFF; Roy A Yahraus; John Joseph “Jack” Cox; Lisa Krouse, Esq.; Craig Johnson, CPA, MBA; G.W. Jacobs, Esq.; Robert W. Flanders
2017
FCCI was listed as one of the Top 50 Writers of Surety Bonds in the country by The Surety & Fidelity Association of America. FCCI formed a Mid-Atlantic Regional Office to serve agents and policyholders in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. The Regional Office opened in January 2018 in Glen Allen, Virginia.
2018
FCCI ended the year with record-breaking direct written premium results of $837.5 million, $2.4 billion in total assets, 849 teammates, six regions writing business in 19 states and DC, and more than 17,000 policyholders.
2019
FCCI celebrates 60 years in business.
1950
1960
1970
1980
1990
2000
2010
BEGIN
logo
1950
1960
1970
1980
1990
2000
2010